The top sight in Sagres is Cape Saint Vincent, the most southwesterly point of mainland Europe. Sightseeing tours, typically departing from Lagos, Albufeira, or Lisbon, bring travelers out to the windswept coastal bluff and the Cape Saint Vincent Lighthouse, which once helped guide sailors along this busy maritime route.
Day tours often stop at other nearby sights including the Fortress of Sagres (Fortaleza de Sagres), as well as at additional towns and cities in the Algarve, such as Silves and Lagos. For a more romantic experience, opt for a sunset tour where you can enjoy the best lookouts in Sagres as the sun sinks slowly beyond the horizon.
Things to know before you go
- Sagres is a must for nature lovers, surfers, and scenery seekers.
- Fresh seafood is plentiful in Sagres so it’s worth planning a lunch stop here.
- Wind can make Sagres feel cooler than other parts of the Algarve in summer so bring an extra layer.
How to get there
Sagres is about 19 miles (30 kilometers) west of Lagos. If driving, follow the N125 south from Lagos to Vila do Bispo then take the N268 to Sagres. Buses also run regularly between Lagos and Sagres.
When to get there
While many parts of the Algarve sizzle between June and August, Atlantic winds ensure Sagres feels a little cooler, making summer a pleasant time to visit. Fall is the best season for bird-watching as many migratory species pass through.
Cape Saint Vincent
Situated about 3.7 miles (6 kilometers) northwest of Sagres town, this rugged headland is a must-see. The cape looks out to the Atlantic Ocean and if you were to set sail from here, you wouldn’t touch land until America. A small lighthouse standing on the isolated promontory now houses a museum documenting the Age of Exploration and Portugal’s maritime history.
- Aktivitäten in Portimao
- Aktivitäten in Albufeira
- Aktivitäten in Faro
- Aktivitäten in Alentejo
- Aktivitäten in Costa del Sol
- Aktivitäten in Andalusien & Costa del Sol
- Aktivitäten in Distrikt Setúbal
- Aktivitäten in Lissabon
- Aktivitäten in Cádiz
- Aktivitäten in Cascais
- Aktivitäten in Beiras
- Aktivitäten in Nordmarokko
- Aktivitäten in Nördliches Portugal
- Aktivitäten in Atlantikküste
- Aktivitäten in Kastilien und León