After extensive repairs, the New Synagogue reopened in 1995. Today it is home to a museum with exhibits that detail the history of the synagogue and display Torahs and scrolls that were excavated as late as 1989. Guided tours bring visitors into the open space behind the restored façade that was once the main synagogue room. This landmark is a popular stop during city tours of Berlin, including walking tours focused on Jewish heritage.
Things to know before you go
- The New Synagogue is a must-see attraction for travelers seeking historical sites and interested in Jewish heritage.
- Most of the New Synagogue is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers via ramps and elevators.
- Audio guides in several languages are available for a small fee.
- Large luggage is not permitted inside the building.
How to get there
The New Synagogue is located in the center of Berlin, at Oranienburger Strasse 28/30. It is easily accessible via public transportation; take the S-Bahn to Oranienburger Strasse or Hackescher Markt; the U-Bahn to Oranienburger Tor; or the tram to Oranienburger Strasse. The synagogue is near several other popular landmarks, including the KW Institute for Contemporary Art and the Berlin Magic Museum.
When to get there
Visitors are welcome at the New Synagogue daily, with last admission 30 minutes before closing. The building’s dome is open from April to September and closed from October to March. Check the website for opening times; hours can be limited on certain holidays and days of worship.
Guided Neighborhood Tours
In addition to tours of the New Synagogue, tours of the surrounding neighborhood are also offered. Discover the architecture and history of the New Synagogue and learn about Jewish life in Berlin over the centuries. Tours are available in several languages.
- Aktivitäten in Potsdam
- Aktivitäten in Rostock
- Aktivitäten in Posen
- Aktivitäten in Hamburg
- Aktivitäten in Karlsbad
- Aktivitäten in Prag
- Aktivitäten in Breslau
- Aktivitäten in Kopenhagen
- Aktivitäten in Nuremberg
- Aktivitäten in Danzig
- Aktivitäten in München
- Aktivitäten in Warschau
- Aktivitäten in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Aktivitäten in Norddeutschland
- Aktivitäten in Bohemia
- Vermisstes Haus
- Bode Museum
- Alter Jüdischer Friedhof
- Chamäleon Theater
- Anne Frank Zentrum
- Alte Nationalgalerie
- Otto-Weidt-Museum (Museum Blindenwerkstatt Otto Weidt)
- Hackesche Höfe
- Neues Museum
- Museum der Blindenwerkstatt Otto Weidt (Museum Blindenwerkstatt Otto Weidt)
- Hackescher Markt
- Deutsches Historisches Museum