Walking tours of Gran Canaria’s Old Town often include a visit to the Casa de Colon as well as other historic attractions like the Plaza San Antonio Abad and the Santa Ana Cathedral. Browse the museum’s extensive pre-Columbian artifacts and Columbus exhibits on your own or delve deeper into the history of the Canary Islands' relationship with the Americas with a museum docent-led tour.
Things to know before you go
- The mansion is a must-see for first-time visitors to Las Palmas’ Old Town.
- Admission is free for children under 18 years of age and discounted admission is available for students and seniors. Admission is free for all on select Sundays.
- The museum gift shop offers a wide selection of books on the Canary Islands.
- Museum exhibits are wheelchair-accessible, but some areas of the museum like the Crypt and courtyard are not accessible.
How to get there
Casa de Colon is located in the historic Vegueta district of Gran Canaria’s capital city, Las Palmas within walking distance of the Museo Canario and the Cathedral de las Palmas. Vegueta was the original 15th-century settlement and is situated southeast of present-day Las Palmas central. The museum is located in a pedestrian area so the best way to get there is via public bus, taxi, or city sightseeing tour.
When to get there
The museum is open daily, with reduced hours on Sunday. The museum tends to be busier around noon, so visit first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid the crowds.
The Museo Canario
To learn more about the first inhabitants of the Canary Islands, visit the nearby Museo Canario. This museum features the largest collection of Canary Islands’ archeological artifacts, including mummies, jewelry, tools, pottery, and more. The museum also features models of ancient dwellings and an extensive collection of bones and skulls.
- Aktivitäten in Kanarische Inseln
- Aktivitäten in Teneriffa
- Aktivitäten in Fuerteventura
- Aktivitäten in Puerto del Rosario
- Aktivitäten in Arrecife
- Aktivitäten in Lanzarote
- Aktivitäten in La Palma
- Aktivitäten in Funchal
- Aktivitäten in Calheta
- Aktivitäten in Agadir
- Aktivitäten in Essaouira
- Aktivitäten in Marrakesch
- Aktivitäten in Casablanca
- Aktivitäten in Madeira
- Aktivitäten in Zentral Marokko
- Catedral de Santa Ana
- Teatro Pérez Galdós
- Museo Canario (Kanarisches Museum)
- Hausmuseum Pérez-Galdós (Casa-Museo Pérez Galdós)
- Calle Triana
- Jardín Botánico Canario Viera und Clavijo
- Pueblo Canario
- Elder Museum für Wissenschaft und Technologie (Museo Elder de la Ciencia y la Tecnologia)
- Park Santa Catalina (Parque de Santa Catalina)
- Poema del Mar Aquarium
- Mercado del Puerto
- Bandama Caldera (Caldera de Bandama)
- Cocodrilo Park Zoo
- Roque Nublo