About 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of Marrakech, the Kik Plateau is perfect hiking territory, with views across to the looming mass of 13,672-foot (4,167-meter) Mt. Toubkal. Most travelers visit as a day trip from Marrakech, as part of a journey that includes some or all of Takerkoust Lake, the “three valleys” (Ourika Valley, Asni Valley, and Oukaimeden Valley), and the Agafay Desert. Many tours include lunch with a Berber family, a great way to discover the local culture.
Things to know before you go
- The Kik Plateau is a good choice for photographers and Instagrammers, especially during spring.
- Parents will want to use back carriers rather than strollers if exploring on foot and opt for shorter tours with less time on the road.
- Kik Plateau hiking trails are not wheelchair-friendly.
How to get there
The Kik Plateau begins about 30 miles (48 kilometers) south of Marrakech. As self-driving Morocco can be an intense experience, the easiest way to get there is on an organized tour. Buses run from Marrakech’s central bus station to the village of Asni, close to the plateau’s northeast corner, but are not frequent enough to guarantee a same-day return.
When to get there
The Kik Plateau has something to offer travelers all year round. But it is at its most beautiful during spring (late February to late April), when the High Atlas are still snow-capped but the grass is green and wildflowers and blossoms are in bloom.
Other High Atlas Highlights
A High Atlas trip is a must when in Marrakech. Culture vultures will love the fantastical ANIMA Garden, sprung from the fertile mind of multimedia artist André Heller, with works by Picasso among other big names. The Ourika Valley offers a rushing river, tumbling waterfalls, botanical gardens, and more. Hikers flock to the High Atlas for the 2-day climb to the summit of Mt. Toubkal, known as North Africa’s highest peak.
- Aktivitäten in Zentral Marokko
- Aktivitäten in Ouarzazate
- Aktivitäten in Essaouira
- Aktivitäten in Agadir
- Aktivitäten in Casablanca
- Aktivitäten in Rabat
- Aktivitäten in Hassilabied
- Aktivitäten in Merzouga
- Aktivitäten in Fez
- Aktivitäten in Lanzarote
- Aktivitäten in Arrecife
- Aktivitäten in Portimao
- Aktivitäten in Málaga
- Aktivitäten in Atlantikküste
- Aktivitäten in Morocco Sahara
- Takerkoust See (Lac Lalla Takerkoust)
- ANIMA Garten
- Mt. Toubkal (Jebel Toubkal)
- Ourika-Tal (Vallée de l'Ourika)
- Oasiria Marrakesch (Oasiria Wasserpark)
- Medina von Marrakesch
- Saadische Gräber (Tombeaux Saadiens)
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- El-Badi-Palast (Palais el-Badi)
- Bahia-Palast (Palais Bahia)
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)
- Marrakesch Museum (Musée de Marrakech)