While some travelers self-drive the asphalt road, a combination of hairpin bends and poor lane discipline can make this a terrifying experience. Many opt to cross the Tizi n’Tichka with a professional driver who knows the road and can handle the stress without slamming on the brakes. Discover this High Atlas pass on a day trip from Marrakech to the UNESCO World Heritage–listed Kasbah of Aït Ben Haddou and Ouarzazate, Morocco’s film capital. Or, continue south on a multi-day adventure to Zagora and the desert camps in the Erg Chebbi dunes, or east towards Merzouga, the Erg Chigaga dune camps, and, ultimately, Fez.
Things to know before you go
- Winding hairpin bends make the Tizi ‘n’Tichka a bad choice for anyone who is prone to motion sickness.
- Tizi n’Tichka route attractions are generally not stroller-friendly.
- Wheelchair-accessible bathrooms are few and far between along the Tizi n’Tichka road.
How to get there
The Tizi n’Tichka Pass sits roughly halfway between Marrakech and Ouarzazate, 60 miles (97 kilometers) southeast of Marrakech. Public buses follow the route but rarely stop for photos, so tours or self-driving are your best options.
When to get there
The pass is particularly beautiful in spring (late March through early May) when snow can still cap some mountains but the wildflowers begin to bloom. During winter (roughly, late November through early March), sudden heavy snowfalls have been known to block the road.
Tizi n’Test Pass
The Tizi n’Tichka isn’t the only spectacular mountain pass near Marrakech. The Tizi n’Test, blasted out of the Atlas around 100 years ago, hugs cliff edges and mountain slopes, dropping around 1 mile (1.5 kilometers) in a single 20-mile (30-kilometer) stretch. It’s on the road southwest to the walled city of Taroudant and the beaches of Agadir.
- Aktivitäten in Zentral Marokko
- Aktivitäten in Ouarzazate
- Aktivitäten in Essaouira
- Aktivitäten in Agadir
- Aktivitäten in Casablanca
- Aktivitäten in Rabat
- Aktivitäten in Hassilabied
- Aktivitäten in Merzouga
- Aktivitäten in Fez
- Aktivitäten in Lanzarote
- Aktivitäten in Arrecife
- Aktivitäten in Portimao
- Aktivitäten in Málaga
- Aktivitäten in Atlantikküste
- Aktivitäten in Morocco Sahara
- Ourika-Tal (Vallée de l'Ourika)
- Kasbah von Aït Ben Haddou (Ksar von Ait Benhaddou)
- ANIMA Garten
- Mt. Toubkal (Jebel Toubkal)
- Kik-Hochebene (Plateau du Kik)
- El-Badi-Palast (Palais el-Badi)
- Bahia-Palast (Palais Bahia)
- Saadische Gräber (Tombeaux Saadiens)
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Oasiria Marrakesch (Oasiria Wasserpark)
- Fotomuseum von Marrakesch (Maison de la Photographie de Marrakech)
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)