Located in the City Center neighborhood, the Holocaust Memorial is the brainchild of several Holocaust survivors, who, in 1984, came together as the nonprofit Holocaust Memorial Committee. Architect Kenneth Treister was selected to design the memorial, and its cast bronze Sculpture of Love and Anguish—notable for its distinctive, outstretched arm—opened in 1990.
This free attraction is open daily, and you can purchase a brochure to make the most of a self-guided tour. This centrally-located sight is steps from the Miami Beach Convention Center, and just a short walk from the shopping promenade on Lincoln Road. For a more relaxing outing, add a visit to the Miami Beach Botanical Garden; it's a near-perfect spot for a rejuvenating stroll.
Things to know before you go
- The memorial is wheelchair-accessible, and visitors may request American sign language interpretation services.
- Since the memorial is a space for reflection, cell phone use and other disruptive behavior are discouraged.
- You can download the memorial smartphone app, free of charge, for iOS and Android devices.
- You should plan to spend at least one hour at the memorial.
How to get there
The Holocaust Memorial is located on Meridian Avenue in Miami Beach, and the most convenient option is to drive. From points north, take I-95 South to I-195 East. From points south, take I-95 north to I-395-East. Exit for Alton Road. You can find ample street parking on Meridian, next to Miami Beach City Hall. Hop-on hop-off tours also typically stop nearby.
When to get there
You can visit this free attraction any day of the week, 365 days a year. The memorial opens in the morning and typically closes at sunset. The memorial is often busier over the weekend and may be crowded on Holocaust Remembrance Day (Yom Hashoah), which falls in April.
- Aktivitäten in Florida
- Aktivitäten in Fort Lauderdale
- Aktivitäten in Boca Raton
- Aktivitäten in Everglades-Nationalpark
- Aktivitäten in West Palm Beach
- Aktivitäten in Neapel
- Aktivitäten in Freeport
- Aktivitäten in Fort Myers
- Aktivitäten in Key West
- Aktivitäten in Cocoa Beach
- Aktivitäten in Sarasota
- Aktivitäten in Cape Canaveral
- Aktivitäten in Nassau
- Aktivitäten in Grand Bahama
- Aktivitäten in New Providence
- Botanischer Garten von Miami Beach
- Neues Weltzentrum
- Bass Museum of Art
- World Erotic Art Museum (WEAM)
- Miami Washington Avenue
- Art Deco Historisches Viertel
- Mangos tropisches Café
- Miami Beach
- South Beach
- South Pointe Park
- Miami Cruise Port (Port Miami)
- Miami Kindermuseum
- Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM)