Gravel paths, shady benches, manicured hedges, exuberant flower beds, and tinkling fountains make the Hofgarten a delightful spot to savor a picnic—or take a break from sightseeing—during summer. But you can also enjoy one of the occasional classical concerts in the Diana Temple, book a photo shoot, swing by on a bike tour, sip a coffee in a café, or join one of the occasional evening dance classes. The western arcade features elegant frescoes and was the site of a Nazi exhibition of “decadent” art, so many Munich art tours swing by here.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Hofgarten is a great choice for photographers, Instagrammers, nature-lovers, and people watchers.
- The name Hofgarten is sometimes translated as “Royal Garden”, but others prefer “Court Garden”. Most people simply call it the Hofgarten.
- Munich is an accessible city for travelers who use wheelchairs and the Hofgarten’s level paths are no exception.
How to Get There
The Hofgarten adjoins the Munich Residence in Munich Old Town and is walking distance from many key Munich attractions. Catch the U-Bahn (subway) to Odeonsplatz (Lines 3, 4, 5, and 6) on the western edge of the park.
When to Get There
The Hofgarten is free to enter and open all year round. It’s at its liveliest in summer—go very early in the day if you plan on taking pictures—and quietest in winter. Like any city park, it’s busiest over weekends and during the working lunch break.
The Best Parks to Visit in Munich
Munich is a green city. Just north of the Hofgarten lies rambling Dichtergarten (Poets’ Garden). Keep strolling north and you’ll hit the English Garden (Englischer Garten), one of the world’s largest city parks, home to 48 miles (78 kilometers) of walking and cycling tracks, plus seasonal beer gardens. Still further north, Maximilian Park fringes the River Isar. In winter, Ost Park offers ice skating; in summer, the Nymphenburg Palace gardens come alive.
- Aktivitäten in Bayern
- Aktivitäten in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Aktivitäten in Innsbruck
- Aktivitäten in Salzburg
- Aktivitäten in Passau
- Aktivitäten in Nuremberg
- Aktivitäten in Hallstatt
- Aktivitäten in Davos
- Aktivitäten in Linz
- Aktivitäten in Cesky Krumlov
- Aktivitäten in Zürich
- Aktivitäten in Luzern
- Aktivitäten in Straßburg
- Aktivitäten in Österreichische Alpen
- Aktivitäten in Oberösterreich