Many Oahu circle island tours and Jurassic Park-themed Kualoa Ranch tours include a visit to Kualoa Regional Beach Park where you can get a good view of Mokolii Island from the shores of Kaneohe Bay. At low tide, it is possible to walk, kayak, or boogie board out to the island. A private cove on the ocean-side of the island is a great spot for sunbathing or picnicking and the hike to the top of the island’s steep cone is challenging, yet rewards hikers with incredible 360-degree views.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Mokolii Island is an ideal destination for adventure travelers.
- No facilities or lifeguards on duty at Mokolii Island.
- Remember to bring sun protection, swimwear, and water shoes.
- Sturdy hiking shoes are recommended if you want to attempt the steep hike to the top of Mokolii Island.
How to Get There
Mokolii Island is located at the north end of Kaneohe Bay, 15 miles (24 kilometers) northeast of Honolulu, about 0.3 miles (0.5 kilometers) offshore of the Kualoa Regional Beach Park. It is possible to walk out to Mokolii Island during low tide, but it is safer to kayak or boogie board out to the island.
When to Get There
You’ll find the biggest crowds on Oahu from December through March. If you’re looking to save money and avoid the crowds, visit from mid-April through June or between September and mid-December. The winter months tend to get more rain than the summer months, but you can expect warm, tropical weather year-round.
The Hawaiian Legend of Mokolii
Native Hawaiians call the island Mokolii, meaning “little lizard,” in reference to the legend of how the island came into existence. According to Hawaiian mythology, the island is what remains of a huge dragon that was slain and tossed into the ocean by Hiiaka, the sister of the volcano goddess, Madam Pele.
- Kualoa Ranch
- Tropische Bauernhöfe Macadamia Nut Farm
- Kaneohe Bay
- Kahana Bay Beach Park
- He'eia State Park
- Tal der Tempel
- Koʻolau Range
- Polynesisches Kulturzentrum
- Nu'uanu Pali Aussichtspunkt
- La'ie Point State Wayside Park
- Kailua Beach Park
- Lanikai Beach
- Regenwald im Nuuanu-Tal
- USS Bowfin Submarine Museum und Park
- Reiseplanvorschläge für Oahu - Empfehlungen für Oahu
- Tagesausflüge nach Maui ab Oahu
- Big Island Tagesausflüge ab Oahu
- Inter-Island Trips ab Oahu - Empfehlungen für Oahu
- Historische Sehenswürdigkeiten des 2. Weltkriegs auf Oahu - Reiseempfehlungen für Oahu
- Tipps für den Besuch in Pearl Harbor - Reiseempfehlungen für Oahu