There are many ways to get a feel for Quintana Roo, whether you’re into food, wildlife, or adventure. Spend a day at an ecopark like Xcaret or Xel-Há, or join a half- or full-day wildlife-watching excursion. Sail to and snorkel offshore spots such as Cozumel and Isla Contoy, or explore Tulum, Cancún, and Playa del Carmen, three of Quintana Roo’s biggest cities. Tours often stop at multiple Quintana Roo hot spots, which is ideal if you have limited time in the region. You can also book skip-the-line tickets in advance, guaranteeing your access to top attractions such as Chichén Itzá.
Things to know before you go
- Quintana Roo is typically hot and humid, so pack light, breathable clothing.
- Many hotels and museums in Quintana Roo are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers, but archaeological sites and outdoor activities may not be.
How to get there
Situated on Mexico’s east coast, Quintana Roo is part of the Yucatán Peninsula. Several airlines fly directly to Cancún International Airport from North American and European cities. Most travelers explore the region by car or boat.
When to get there
Quintana Roo is busiest from December through April, when the weather is least humid. For a comparatively quieter (and more affordable) experience, visit in May—or in summer or fall, if you don’t mind rainstorms.
Wildlife Experiences in Quintana Roo
While Quintana Roo has its share of party-loving cities, relaxing beaches, and historic ruins, it’s also one of the best places in Mexico for wildlife enthusiasts. Swim with whale sharks off the coast of Isla Holbox between June and September, look for crocodiles in mangrove forests, or snorkel around the Great Maya Reef. Meanwhile, bird-watchers won’t want to miss Cozumel or Isla Contoy.
- Aktivitäten in Playa del Carmen
- Aktivitäten in Cozumel
- Aktivitäten in Cancun
- Aktivitäten in Mérida
- Aktivitäten in Costa Maya
- Aktivitäten in Tulum
- Aktivitäten in The Cayes
- Aktivitäten in Zentrales Hochland von Guatemala
- Aktivitäten in Westliches Hochland von Guatemala
- Aktivitäten in Ambergris Caye
- Aktivitäten in Belize City
- Aktivitäten in San Ignacio
- Aktivitäten in Pacific Highlands
- Aktivitäten in Florida
- Aktivitäten in Oaxaca