The Prado comprises more than a dozen buildings inside Balboa Park, including the multiple-arched Cabrillo Bridge that leads into the park. Other attractions of interest include the Japanese Friendship Garden, Alcazar Garden, Natural History Museum, Museum of Art, Museum of Man, the Fleet Science Center, and the often photographed Botanical Building with its reflecting pool. The area, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is often included on sightseeing tours of San Diego, including walking tours that show off the highlights of Balboa Park.
Things to know before you go
- The museums and gardens within El Prado make it an excellent stop for history buffs and families.
- Remember to wear comfortable shoes, as the complex is quite large and best explored on foot.
- Bring your camera along, as El Prado has some of Balboa Park’s most recognizable landmarks.
How to get there
El Prado is located in the heart of Balboa Park in downtown San Diego, just off Interstate 5. Parking is available by the visitor center to the East of Highway 163. Bus routes #120, #7, and Rapid 215 all pass through Balboa Park.
When to get there
With warm weather throughout the year, every season is a good season to explore the attractions in Balboa Park, including El Prado. To make the most of your experience, try to visit when the site is hosting an outdoor concert. To avoid crowds (and have better luck finding a parking space) stick to weekday mornings.
Other Attractions in Balboa Park
Balboa Park is sometimes called the “Smithsonian of the West” for its collection of museums (17 in total) and gardens, including El Prado. See the park from 200 feet (60 meters) in the air by climbing to the top of the California Tower inside the Museum of Man, travel the world without leaving the city with a visit to the 34 International Cottages, marvel at the works of Rembrandt in the Timken Museum, or take a hike along Palm Canyon Trail.
- Aktivitäten in Kalifornien
- Aktivitäten in La Jolla
- Aktivitäten in Palm Springs
- Aktivitäten in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Aktivitäten in Long Beach
- Aktivitäten in Los Angeles
- Aktivitäten in Santa Monica
- Aktivitäten in Santa Barbara
- Aktivitäten in Pismo Beach
- Aktivitäten in Las Vegas
- Aktivitäten in San Luis Obispo
- Aktivitäten in Paso Robles
- Aktivitäten in Scottsdale
- Aktivitäten in Arizona
- Aktivitäten in Nevada
- Kunstmuseum von San Diego (SDMA)
- Mingei International Museum
- Museum für Fotokunst
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- Old Globe Theatre
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- San Diego Geschichtszentrum
- Japanischer Freundschaftsgarten
- Spreckels Orgelpavillon
- Balboa Park
- Naturkundemuseum von San Diego (The Nat)
- Fleet Science Center
- Spanisches Dorfkunstzentrum
- San Diego Zoo
- Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rosengarten