MOPA, as it’s known by locals, displays pieces from its permanent collection in the series of rotating temporary exhibits. The galleries are not large, and most of the museum can be seen in under an hour. Many exhibits tend toward the experimental and are aimed at visitors with a keen interest in photography.
The art house Joan and Irwin Jacobs Theater screens a variety of documentaries and other independent films. Additionally, a library holds more than 20,000 photography-related items that are available to browse and check out for research purposes.
Things to know before you go
- Admission is pay-what-you-wish with a suggested donation.
- Avid photographers who visit the museum are encouraged to submit their own work to be considered as part of the permanent collection.
- The museum is fully wheelchair accessible, with an ADA ramp at the main entrance and accessible parking in adjacent lots.
- American sign language tours are available for each new exhibition, or can be requested with three weeks advance notice.
How to get there
MOPA is located in Balboa Park, across from Casa del Prado. If driving, the closest parking lot is on Space Theater Way, with nearby street parking available along Park Blvd. From other parking lots, catch the free Balboa Park tram to a stop near the museum. Many public buses service Balboa Park.
When to get there
MOPA is open from Friday to Sunday. Take a look at the museum site for library opening hours.
An Art Lovers Guide to Balboa Park
Featuring a wide range of art museums, gardens, and Spanish colonial architecture, Balboa Park offers no shortage of artistic inspiration. Pair a visit to the Museum of Photographic Arts with other cultural destinations, including the San Diego Museum of Art, Timken Museum of Art, San Diego Art Institute, and Centro Cultural de la Raza. In addition to visual arts, look for live performances at the Old Globe, San Diego Youth Symphony, Civic Dance Arts, Starlight Bowl, and landmark Spreckels Organ Pavilion.
- Aktivitäten in Kalifornien
- Aktivitäten in La Jolla
- Aktivitäten in Palm Springs
- Aktivitäten in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Aktivitäten in Long Beach
- Aktivitäten in Los Angeles
- Aktivitäten in Santa Monica
- Aktivitäten in Santa Barbara
- Aktivitäten in Pismo Beach
- Aktivitäten in Las Vegas
- Aktivitäten in San Luis Obispo
- Aktivitäten in Paso Robles
- Aktivitäten in Scottsdale
- Aktivitäten in Arizona
- Aktivitäten in Nevada
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- San Diego Geschichtszentrum
- El Prado
- Japanischer Freundschaftsgarten
- Kunstmuseum von San Diego (SDMA)
- Naturkundemuseum von San Diego (The Nat)
- Mingei International Museum
- Fleet Science Center
- Spreckels Orgelpavillon
- Spanisches Dorfkunstzentrum
- Old Globe Theatre
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rosengarten
- Balboa Park
- San Diego Zoo