Named for an American Revolutionary War ship captain, the SS Jeremiah O’Brien is among more than 2,700 Liberty ships built during World War II. The ship made seven wartime voyages around the world, in addition to delivering critical troops and supplies to support the Normandy D-Day invasion in 1944. Today, the ship is open to the public as a museum and makes occasional tribute voyages. Visitors can freely roam nearly all areas of the ship, including the flying bridge, officers’ quarters, and working engine room. Tours are self-guided, but volunteer docents are onboard and available to answer questions.
Things to know before you go
- Fans of the blockbuster film Titanic may recognize the engine room from scenes filmed there.
- For more wartime naval history, visit the USS Pampanito submarine moored near the SS Jeremiah O’Brien.
- The ship is not handicap accessible, and the steep ladders and swaying gangway may not be suitable for visitors with limited mobility.
How to get there
The SS Jeremiah O’Brien is docked at Pier 45 on Fisherman’s Wharf. Multiple paid parking lots are nearby. The pier is also easily reached by the F streetcar and the Powell/Hyde cable car.
When to get there
The ship is open daily from 9am to 4pm on Pier 45. Visit on a weekend to see the main steam engine in action.
Along Fisherman’s Wharf
One of San Francisco's primary tourist attractions, Fisherman's Wharf is a bustling historic seafront with fantastic views of the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz Island. Seafood restaurants, souvenir shops, and street performers all jostle for visitors’ attention against the backdrop of bay traffic including massive cargo ships and sightseeing cruises. At the center of it all is Pier 35, a tourist hotspot known for its resident sea lions and Smithsonian-affiliated Aquarium of the Bay.
- Aktivitäten in Kalifornien
- Aktivitäten in Sausalito
- Aktivitäten in Napa & Sonoma
- Aktivitäten in Yosemite-Nationalpark
- Aktivitäten in Paso Robles
- Aktivitäten in San Luis Obispo
- Aktivitäten in Pismo Beach
- Aktivitäten in Santa Barbara
- Aktivitäten in Santa Monica
- Aktivitäten in Los Angeles
- Aktivitäten in Long Beach
- Aktivitäten in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Aktivitäten in La Jolla
- Aktivitäten in Nevada
- Aktivitäten in Oregon
- San Francisco Cruise Port am Pier 35
- Aquarium der Bucht
- Pier 39
- Coit Tower
- Angel Island State Park
- James R. Herman Kreuzfahrtterminal am Pier 27
- Madame Tussauds San Francisco
- Kirche der Heiligen Peter und Paul
- San Francisco Dungeon
- Fishermans Wharf
- Die Konservenfabrik
- USS Pampanito
- Beat Museum