We're very sorry about your experience!
The tour was cancelled due to yellow weather warning and no chance to see the northern lights due to cloud cover that night.
Your booking came in 2 hours after the cancellation or about 30min before the original departure time which is 9pm. You did receive a full refund and a sincere apology 2-3 hours after your booking accidentally came through our system. We never received a message, email, phone call or any reply from you after you made the booking. So we had no idea until we checked our system for our next day booking status.
Again, we're very sorry about your experience ;-(
As in our tour's description, we make a decision at 6:30pm for a "Go" or a "Cancel". And the best idea is reaching out to us as the pickup list for a tour that's a "Go" is already made at this time and a "Cancelled tour" has been cancelled a few hours before.